Sunday, October 14, 2007

Understanding Your Child

Children can sometimes be difficult to handle with their negative moods, strong self-will and intense emotional responses. However, they have their own strengths and abilities too.

As unique individuals, they possess their own special set of qualities and, by understanding them better and learning about their temperament, you will be better able to manage them successfully.

While growing up, children are bound to make mistakes as they test their limits (and yours!). As a result, they can prove to be somewhat difficult at times. You have to accept, respect and love your children regardless of this and help them cope with life's changes and challenges.

My elder son, keatkeat, is a thinker. Everyday, he never fails to amaze me with the details he noticed in things he observes in school, the behaviour of people around him, the events that's happening everyday, etc.

In the beginning, he hardly talks. We (my husband and I) took quite a bit of effort to let him speak his mind. We would first notice what is he looking at and touching whenever he is extremely quiet. Then we would create a topic around the thing that is getting his attention. Eg. if he was holding a car and rotating it around. We would say something like, you like this car don't you? Usually we break the ice by asking something that will give a positive answer like yes and ok. Then we go on by asking what's the details of the car, eg. colour, size. If he continues to answer our questions, we then go on to open ended questions like "you look like you are talking to the car, what are you saying to it?"

Yes this may sound silly, but in the imaginative world of a child....you never know! Well, this method worked for keatkeat. Now, he tells us almost every single thing that's on his mind, and best of all, he talks to strangers! I still remember the very 1st time he talks to a stranger. We were in the lift of our HDB flat. A man was in the lift with us. He said 'hello' to keatkeat, we were expecting the usual head-bow-down kind of reaction from him, instead, keatkeat said 'hello' and waved!

If you have kids that are quiet, seldom talks, and it worries you, share with me, I always like to try new ways to break the ice. Leave a comment. Love to hear from you.

Even if you don't have a child like keatkeat, give me your feedback on this very 1st post of mine.

2 comments:

jaunesk said...

Hi Angeline,

Nice Work. True children never fail to amaze us, as adults we tend to forget that we are children before and often like to impose certain restrictions that might limit their imagination and creativity.

Glad to be the first to put a comment here. Do visit my blg and leave comment.

Warmest Regards,

SK WONG

http://blog.successdynamic.com

riclyn said...

Angeline,
Hi, just visiting from the SMCC site. Both of my children are grown now, and believe it or not they still amaze me. I have two boys who are total opposites of each other. I raised the boys as a single mother after being widowed when they were 8 and 4. My older son was very inquisitve and very compliant, but with my younger son I wasn't sure if we were going to survive each other. There were many times he would test me to my limits. Today, they are happy and productive young men and I am so very proud of them. They have grown to be very honorable young men. I wish you well. Happy child raising...they grow up so fast.
Lynn Leusch
www.greenlightprofits.com