Monday, November 19, 2007

Children observe, analyse and conclude

My 2-year-old woke me up this morning and made me think deep....

As usual, Binbin woke up earlier than my husband and I. He asked me for his milk, I just said "mm." My loving Allan would naturally wake up, so that I can continue my sleep, to prepare Binbin's milk, then Allan would come back to bed.

After Binbin finished his milk, he would leave us alone and play by himself till its time for us to wake up to fetch my elder son from school.

But today, Binbin didn't play for long, he climbed up our bed and asked me for water, guess my response? Yup, I just replied "mm." And there goes Allan again, to get Binbin his drink.

It was at that split second, Binbin asked me, "Mummy, why you never wake up? Why always Papa wake up?" I couldn't help but feel ashamed of myself and replied, "I'm tired, dear." "Papa is tired too...." Awww...that's it! 'I will make it up to you then' was shouting out of my head.

It was then I remembered the words of T.Harv Eker, the author of Secrets of the Millionaire Mind.


http://www.secretsofthemillionairemind.com/a/?wid=567860

Harv mentioned about his wife experience when she was a little girl and how her experience impacted her thinking as an adult....

"When my wife was eight years old, she would hear the clanging bells of the ice cream truck coming down the street. She would run to her mom and ask for a quarter. Her mom would reply, "Sorry, dear, I don't have any money. Go ask Dad. Dad's got all the money." My wife would then go ask her dad. He'd give her a quarter, she'd go get her ice cream cone, and she was a happy camper.

Week after week, the same incident would repeat itself. So what did my wife learn about money? First, that men have all the money.... Second, she learned that women don't have money....."

I wouldn't want my child to think of me as a lazy being, where Papa always get things done, when mummy just lie around doing nothing. That would be terrible!

So calling all parents.... watch your behaviour, 'cos your child is observing, analysing and concluding on the way you behave infront of them.

No comments: