Monday, October 4, 2010

Po Chai Pills - 保濟丸 is banned?


Po Chai Pills - 保濟丸 is banned in Singapore? Did you know that? I received an email today talking about Po Chai Pills side effects and Po Chai Pills reviews.

Then it made me think about my weekend suffering. I had flu on Saturday morning and my tummy was not performing as it should. So I popped in a bottle of Po Chai Pills - 保濟丸 hoping to get rid of the uncomfort in the mid area.

It did not.

Instead, my liver area started to hurt like before (when I was admitted to hospital for 13 days last year). I got scared. 'Cos we were supposed to celebrate my MIL's birthday on Sunday. I hanged on till midnight, I told Allan I needed to visit the clinic. So we went down to the nearby 24hour clinic and paid the super high after-midnight charge of $80+ just for consultation.

Doctor told me it was food poisoning, but could not pinpoint to what it was as I did not eat anything unusual the day before. So could it really have been Po Chai Pills - 保濟丸? I really do not know. And as I recall further to my scary episode last year, I remembered taking Po Chai Pills - 保濟丸 as well.

Could it be pure coincidence? I do not know. But one thing for sure, I am going to steer away from that little bottle for a long time, just threw away the remainders this morning after reading this email from my 2nd SIL: -


"Bummer! Work good when you have the runs.

Pls pass this info to Chinese comunities overseas esp in N. America,Europe, Australia , SE Asia (eg Indonesia ) where Po Chai pills are household over-the-counter all purpose "medicine", used to be in family medicine cabinets. Well meaning moms, grandmothers give these to kids studying abroad.

Hong Kong Pulls Po Chai Pills because of Health Risks, Morning Post Says
2010-03-25 01:49:27.289 GMT By Frederik Balfour

March 25 (Bloomberg) - Hong Kong 's Department of Health has instructed traditional Chinese medicine maker Li Chung Shing Tong (Holdings) to recall Po Chai pills after they were found to contain banned substances in Singapore , the South China Morning Post said.

The pills, popular among sufferers from digestion problems, were found to contain phenolphthalein and sibutramine, substances that can lead to serious side effects, according to a department spokesman, the newspaper said.

"Po Chai" (see images below) have been banned in Singapore. They are also being recalled in Hong Kong .

Apart from the two dangerous chemicals (phenolphthalein and sibutramine) found by the Singapore Govt., mercury is another component used in the manufacture of the pills !

Mercury can cause serious brain damage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

The following is prevalent in Malaysia and Spore.

At shop malls, do not drink the drink sold from the Chinese golden drums, those little shop with rich-looking urns selling those "anti-heaty" tea and tea & herbal-steamed eggs.

As well, by roadsides everywhere, where the guy asks if you would like to kar liew (add powder)

THAT POTENT ANTI-HEATINESS WORKS, BECAUSE IT'S LACED WITH STEROID POWDER.
Pass this message to friends and family.
Consume it often, and your bone marrow will go porous and weak.
My friend's wife, in Pudu, is now with one leg shorter after hip-joint reolacement. She is 40-over years, and drank jln.Pasar's "kar liew" for years."



5 comments:

Blessed mum said...

u sure its banned? i'm still able to get it from the chinese medical hall.

Angeline said...

Not sure. That's why I put the "?" behind the title.

I was shocked when I read the email.
'Cos I just bought a new box of Po Chai Pills recently only...

So now am confused.

Tina said...

Hi,

Hope you are well. I just wanted to let you know that my Game FreakZ (http://www.gamefreakzweb.com) blog is no longer active.

However my other blogs will still remain live.

If you could remove it from your blogroll that would be great.

Thank you for your support over the years. Hope you will still continue to visit me at my other places.

Angeline said...

Hey Tina,

your wish is my command!
*wink*

Unknown said...

I have read about the ban but I read somewhere, I think It was wikiepedia that the only ones are are recalled is the supply that is in Singapore and whatever other country they said.

But the supply of po chai pills that is imported to America is fine. And I highly doubt that one little bottle of pills, even though it does contain those chemicals, could put you in the hospital. You would have to take a while bunch, the whole box, or way more for it affect you like that.

I have my box of po chai pills here. Just took a couple bottles the past couple days because of my stomach. ugh.