Monday, May 4, 2009

A skill not forgotten

This belongs to my 2nd SIL. A gift from her husband, many years back when he was on an overseas trip, something that she really treasure. Last week, she brought it along with her for our usual Sunday gathering at my MIL's house.

"H.L. (that's how I'm called in the family), can you fix this for me? I like it alot but it broke." She asked.

My tools have not rusted, my materials are still available and my memory of how to string something like that is not gone (yet); so I said, "Sure!"

My dad used to say, "Learning a skill is always better than learning a theory."

I did not attend a course or went to a school to learn this. I just picked it up through observation. Naturally. Talented-some say, But not to me, 'cos its pure interest. When one is interested in something, it just flows like a smooth silk on skin... temptingly comfortable.

I used to use this skill to earn. Now I use this skill to help. Sometimes I use this skill to make a gift for a special someone. Presents with personal touch usually mean a little more to the receiver. Yet, there were times its not appreciated.

Oh well, whatever it is. A skill remains a skill, once you have it, its hard to lose it.

2 comments:

Ann said...

wah.....so skillfull....can make some and seel also got ppl will buy I reckon!

Angeline said...

Ann,

That's what I used to do for a living for 6 years, before I became a Stay At Home Mom 3 years ago
I have cleared most of my materials...
will I do it again for a living... nah...
for fun, for gift... more likely now...