Monday, August 15, 2011

Fooled by a PayPal Scam email! Potential value lost $164.25!

There I was, thinking that I have yet another sale...another Kaching moment... only to realised that its a Scam!

How foolish of me! *Slap Slap Slap*
*SCREAM*

Everything started on Friday.



The scammer decided to buy two of this ring from me. After we have confirmed the price of the items and his agreement to pay for the shipment, he asked for my Paypal email add and I gave, just like I would, to any of my customers.
Total cost was therefore $20.00. But he 'fake transferred' SGD 159 to me because UPS quoted me on Saturday, that the total shipment cost would be $139 to send to his country Nigeria. So $20.00 + $139 = $159.

Email correspondence between the scammer and I was so damn real! He is definitely a professional actor man!
*SCREAM*
What an idiot I was!


Then he sent me this on Saturday and I felt really uneasy:



Then, almost instantly the 'Fake PayPal' sent me these:



AND IN a SEPARATE EMAIL, I received this from 'Fake PayPal' too:





This is my second overseas customer. The previous customer did a bank transfer, so this is the first time I am accepting payment through PayPal from an overseas 'customer'.

I thought PayPal really had that policy to protect the buyers. I really naively or stupidly believed that in order to get my account credited, I must first provide the shipment number to PayPal.

So on Monday, which is today, I called UPS to ask them to come to my place to collect the rings, so that I can get the shipment number to submit to PayPal. This is the first time I am using UPS service.

Remember, on SATURDAY the guy on the customer service line told me the shipment cost SGD $139? Today, the lady on the customer service line told me the shipment cost SGD $144.25!!! What a difference!!!

Damn!
I was still thinking how am I going to tell the scammer, whom I still believe at that time was a genuine customer. I was even ready to absorb the difference if he refused to pay the difference in shipping charges after I highlight to him. That is how silly I am! And at that moment, I told myself never to use UPS again. Because of a simple quotation, there is such a big discrepancy.



I filled up lots of other forms and packed the two rings nicely. The friendly UPS guy came to my house at 2.45pm and I paid him SGD $144.25 IN CASH.

After he had left, immediately I sent the shipment number to the 'Fake PayPal' and they sent me this:


The moment they said they have to WAIT till the verification process is complete, I felt SERIOUSLY UNCOMFORTABLE.

Picked up the Phone. Called up PayPal Singapore and they told me that this is a SCAM!!! The lady on the line told me to cancel the shipment process immediately and send the 'fake' emails to spoof@Paypal.com to inform them. And the REAL PAYPAL replied that those emails were truly SCAM emails!!!



My heart dropped.
I think I had stopped breathing for a couple of seconds.
I think I had gave up my soul for that split moment.
Cold sweat exploded out from my skin.
I was so freaking scared~!

Immediately I called UPS to stop the shipment process and I asked if I would be penalised in any way. Thank goodness the answer was "NO". The customer service staff told me that the same delivery guy would come back to return my SGD $144.25 CASH and my two rings between 6pm to 8pm.

Yes, at 8pm the same delivery guy arrived at my doorstep with my cash and my items. But I felt really bad towards the delivery guy and I gave him a small token to express my apology.

My hubby feels that this scammer is NOT eyeing for the rings. It has to be something more valuable or bigger than that. He asked me to cancel my PayPal account. But I have too many things linking to my PayPal account. So I decided to change my password. I do not know if its good enough.... *fingers and toes crossed*

And all these did not stop there. 

More emails were sent to me from the 'Fake PayPal' saying that I gave them a wrong shipment tracking number and blah blah blah. They even said I should refund the 'buyer' the money because of this; and ask me to transfer the amount back to him blah blah blah....

On the other hand, the 'buyer', who is the scammer, acted as if he has no idea what had been going on and still have the cheek to ask me, "Have you sent out the items? What is the shipment tracking number so that I can track?"
*SCREAM*

How can these people live with their conscience?
Don't they have conscience at all?!
*SCREAM*

What an INCREDIBLE LESSON LEARNED TODAY!!!!

1 comment:

Angela said...

wao..this is a really scary wake up call. Online internet stuffs really cant be trusted.. you never know if you are talking to a "robot" yourself. anyway the email has too many glaring english / spelling errors which paypal will definitely not be so unprofessional. Next time be extra careful!!!