Monday, January 2, 2012

Do You Wear Your Wedding Rings Daily?

I was shocked to find out today that it was a common practice for married couples NOT to wear their wedding bands or wedding rings daily.

Right after this new discovery, I went home and asked a few more couples and lo and behold its true!!! *Jaws Dropped*

Is this a trend? Am I outdated?
If I am man at a pub and I saw this woman without any ring on the left hand's fourth finger, I would naturally think that she is single and 'encourage' people to approach. Is that what you want to portray when you have already vowed to be married to your hubby?

Whereas for men without a wedding ring on that finger...... is that the reason why more divorce cases are happening nowadays due to third party involvement?

We wear wedding rings on the fourth finger of our left hand because one of the veins lead straight to the heart. Therefore, to me, wearing wedding ring is very important, because the marriage vow you gave to your spouse is one that should always be in your heart. Therefore, something so precious, why take it off after the vow has been made?

Why wouldn't a married couple wear their wedding rings after marriage?

Several reasons were mentioned:
  1. Either party is working in an environment whereby chemicals are involved, hence it would tarnish the ring. And since the spouse is not wearing, the other choose not to wear.
  2. Men does not like to wear ring, so the wife choose not to wear too.
  3. The ring size no longer fits well after pregnancy, so when the wife does not wear it, the husband do so too.
  4. One of the ring was lost. Did not get a replacement, so the other party might as well not wear it.
  5. The solitaire was too big and it kept knocking or scratching on things. So when the wife does not wear, the husband follow suit.
Other than the first reason above, I find all other reasons totally unacceptable.
My views below may offend some of the couples who practice not wearing the wedding rings daily, I apologise first if its piercing to your ears....

However for the first reason, I see no excuse good enough to justify why the ring cannot be worn after work? You can put it in your wallet and wear it after you leave your company or factory or laboratory. If 'troublesome' is your excuse reason, then buying and choosing the rings in the first place is even more troublesome, isn't?

In the first place, why were wedding rings a must when a couple goes through solemnization? Why not necklace? Or bracelet? Or any other things?!
This alone already shows the significance of the rings in a marriage.
They are a symbol of unison.

Next, why is it a must to help each other to put on the wedding ring during soleminzation?
Its to show to all witnesses and to each other that you two vowed to be reminded of this day. And as long as the ring, your spouse put onto your finger, remains on your finger after that day, you two stay true to the vow you have made.

Then, for those who simply choose not to wear because the other party is not wearing is just absurd to me. Its something so close to the heart, by choosing not to wear because the spouse is not wearing only goes to show how much importance that moment when your spouse put the ring onto your finger means to you. If you can take it out so lightly, to me, it also means that the marriage is not something you treasure.

At this point, many would argue that its the heart that matters. They said that they remember each other in their heart. That is more important than a piece of jewellery.
I find this argument off topic. I am talking about the significance of the wedding ring. If something is so important to you, would you hold it close to your heart, keep it close to you or would you leave it out of sight?!

The more I type, the angrier I get!
Because 2 couples among the ones I have asked are already divorced. And these couples took off their wedding rings just few days after their marriage. *faint*

I cried my heart out when I lost my wedding ring, see post "My Wedding Ring"
and
Tears of joy streamed down when I found it eventually again, read here "I Found My Wedding Ring"

To me, wedding rings are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! The significance of the wedding rings are beyond words can describe because it involves the heart and soul of two human beings. How can a married couple not wear wedding rings after marriage?!

I'm sorry, I find no reason a good enough reason to remove the wedding rings after marriage and not wear it back on a daily basis.

Period!

No comments: