Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas in Singapore

This is for Erin. My little inquisitive reader...*laugh* (Hey but it doesn't mean YOU can't read it!)I love questions, so keep them coming (I'm not sick of saying this yet)!!!

Every year, our tourist shopping belt : Orchard Road will be beautifully decorated. But so sorry, I can't show you the 'real beauty' cos' the videos I found on YouTube, errrmmm didn't meet my expectation, I can be quite a perfectionist at times. But here's the glimpse of it, if you are interested...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGVKtumGz8

This year's theme is "A Sweet Christmas in Singapore". If you want to find out the REASON behind this year's theme...go read here (I know how curious you can get) *laugh*













Christmas is more fun when I was younger, when I'm still attending church like it was my home. One month before Christmas Day, the church choir will be practicing a musical drama.

Since I was one of the 'singers', I'll be so busy the moment school holiday starts. The performance is usually on the eve and the day itself. There were much more presents to receive and buy back then, cos' there were so many 'brothers and sisters' in church.

Before I'm married, only my family exchanges presents. All my other friends in school don't do that with their family, because they believe that its a season for the Christians only.

Over time, things changed. Now even non-Christian families celebrate Christmas by exchanging presents and feasting on turkeys and log cakes.

Like my in-laws, they used to be strong believers that Christmas is STRICTLY for Christians only, but after seeing how happy their grandchildren were when they receive presents (other than on their birthdays), now they buy gifts for them on this occasion too. As for adults, do we exchange presents? Nah...

Parties big and small are everywhere on this multi-racial little island. You see people wearing Christmas hats, holding illumine sticks and wearing those battery-operated blink-blink pins on their shirts.

Because Singapore doesn't snow, so snow sprays are used to give it that extra 'touch'. Guess what? I used to sell them too! Its pretty profitable. *wink*

At the strike of 12 on Christmas Eve, the entire stretch of Orchard road become a crazy sight. Everyone's spraying from the cans as if they were free!!! That was the moment when my sale of snow sprays reach the PEAK! *laugh*

Other than the mess on human, cars and the streets, serious problems occurred as a result during such a commotion. hmmm.... I think I'll better not give any example here (may get myself into trouble), if you want to know, email me.

The insanity subsides at around 2am. Leaving the whole stretch of the tourist shopping belt wet and slippery, together with confetti and litters on the floor. Its really messy when the fun is over. At about 4am, the cleaning truck will be there to clear up the place and in less than 2 hours, the entire place will be back to how it was before!

Yup! That's how we spend Christmas over here on our little island we call Singapore... *smile*

3 comments:

Tina said...

those lights are amazing. nothing as great as that here :(

thanks for adding all my sites mate. i have done the same for yours too x

Something About Us said...

the lightings which I saw while in the car aren't so nice as compared with the photos you've posted. :P

- Ling

Woman in a Window said...

How amazing are you? I ask all these questions and you don't hesitate to answer. Thank you.

I like to think of you a part of those plays of your youth. I think that sense of community is what would give Christmas the most grounding. At least it is for me. And as an adult I don't take part in quite the same way anymore and so don't quite feel about Christmas what I used to. But I give everything I have to create a feeling around the whole season to give to my children. Yes, the presents are fun but that is only one day, the real importance of the holiday is the time spent together, like what you wrote about at your other place, those are the real memories of Christmas.

Thanks for sharing! Too bad we can't see those naughty pictures of the town getting a little crazy! I can only imagine.