Monday, December 15, 2008

Lasik

Lasik Eye Surgery has always been my big dream ever since I knew that such a thing exist.

As we clear off more debts, I've decided to look at my wish list. A list of things that needs lots more money to fulfill and Lasik has always been on the top of the list over the years.

Now that the price have gone down by half over the last 4 -5 years. It has become much more (reasonably) affordable. I've started doing my 'research' on different clinics that perform the surgery since then and it was The Lasik Surgery Clinic which made me feel comfortable. The surgeons, the services, the price...blah blah blah...

So 4 years ago, I told myself that if ever I could afford to go for Lasik, LSC would be the place I want to go.

And so I went, earlier in October, when they had a free forum. It was held at their clinic and heard 2 doctors spoke ~ Dr Marc Tay and Dr Jon Goh. It was after the Q&A session that I became very confident of my choice. I like the confidence (NOT arrogance) of the doctors. Its so important that the patient feels at ease with the doctor, ain't that right?

Recently they had a promotion. Eye Screening Test ($1) and Eye Evaluation ($100) are given FREE to find out if you are a suitable candidate. Yes, its sad that even if you have tonnes of money, it doesn't mean that you are suitable for it.

So I went and brought my curious sis along. Both of us went through lots of tests, which gives results like: the imperfection of your eyes, the thickness of your cornea, the level of pressure your eyes can take (Oooo....this is the fun one!), the dilation of your pupil with special eye-drops (which eventually makes you feel a little disorientated), the degree of your eyes now ~ they need to know the 'perfect' degree so that after the surgery, that's the vision you will have....

On top of that we have counseling session cum a special one-to-one Q&A session with your preferred Surgeon; and for me, its definitely Dr Marc Tay. Questions like, should I opt for custom or wavefront, blade or bladeless were all answered effortlessly by the experienced man.

I was so happy that the results showed that I'm a Suitable Candidate!!!

So now I'm on my way to save up for it. S$2,188 is the cost of custom surgery for both eyes PLUS medication AND 3 post-surgery checkups (which may change according to the receptionist), which is 'good enough' for my 900+ Shortsightedness (each eye) and my 100+ Astigmatism (each eye).

The Evaluation results are only valid up to 6weeks and I'm pretty sure, I won't be able to raise that amount by then. So there is a high chance whereby I'll have to go through all those tests again, which I'm very willing to do....*smile*

Till the day I have the amount, wish Allan lots of luck won't ya? Cos' if he has more deals or BIGGER deals, the earlier I can go for my Lasik!!! *laugh*

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

FREE?? FREE??? Did i get the word wrong?? It cost at least a good 2.5K per eye! My colleague went for it and i was so so so envy of her for not having to put on specs or contact lenses!

Good luck to the evaluation.

I saw your remark at my blog and true, none of this would have happened if i had not started the biting game. I will be very careful on the choice of my games with Dot from now on, and thank you so much for your reminder.

Anonymous said...

Oh wait, i read your post again, and the FREE part is the consultation fees....

Something About Us said...

lasik is also one of wish list...but it's drifting away from me now :(

do share more experience with me ok!

Anonymous said...

I would love to get Lasik. I'll probably have to wait until JJ finishes school so we can afford it. I don't know if I'll be a good candidate since my eyes are so bad.

~~吳大娘 - 吳懿恩, 吳懿倖和吳勇樂的母亲大人~~ said...

wow lasik..i love to get it done too..but no $$ leh..so got to wait..it's right at the bottom of my to-have, to-do and to-want list :P

as for saving up..buy more lottery haha..

Juliana said...

I'm here :D

Tina said...

lazik was one of the best things i have ever done. its all worth it in end.

could you get finance for it mate? thats how i got mine, cause no way i got that much money ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Angel.. me too want to go for lasik.. may be after an year .:) either here or in India.. but i was not aware that it costs almost the same as in India ... mmm lemme then do it here.. later in 2010:) Hope m a suitable candidate..

I tell u its one of the best decisiosn u have taken and I have few of my frens who ahve done it n feel awesome..

U will do it sooner..Wish u Luck:)