Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hospitalised Day 4

6th July, Monday

2am:

A surgeon came and told me that my blood test result was not good. My alkali level was dropping at a fast rate, meaning there could be lack of oxygen in my blood or there is an inflammatory somewhere.

What he could not understand was, with the decreasing alkali level in my blood, I was actually getting better! The pain in my lower abdomen was gone and only my gastric condition remained. He concluded before leaving "I learned that when lab results and patient's condition doesn't match, treat the patient, ignore the lab results."

4am:
A gynae came, inserted her finger through my virginal and anus, feeling everywhere and constantly asking: "Pain?" I gave a firm 'NO' to every question. She gave the puzzled look. Your blood test is worrying, but you are ok...hmmm... She left it as that and went off.

7am:
My doctor came for his rounds. Told me the same puzzling 'blood test results'. And asked, "Does your family have kidney problem?"
"No"
He started hammering my back and asked "Pain?"
"No"
Same puzzled look on his face as the previous two.
"Can I request for a scope to be done?"
"No, not so soon, I'll let you eat first and we will see how it goes."
"No! I want a scope today. I am worried. This is the first time, in my years of gastric problems, my family doctor's medication didn't work."

He looked at my worried face, sensed my determination, he gave in "Ok then, I'll arrange it for you before lunch so that you can start eating after that."

10.30am:
The nurse came and prepared me with the robe which I slipped in from the front, strings tying at the back, just like that of a surgeon's. Took out my glasses and removed the rings from my fingers. Laid myself on the bed with wheels and off I went. The journey seemed longer that it should. My mind was repeating "Tell the doctor I want to be sedated." On and on I kept on reminding myself. Heard too many scary stories about having that tube down the throat.

And so I did. To everyone who came over to talk to me. *laugh* I was going a little paranoid, I should say.

I was lying on my left side. The doctor injected the long-awaited-liquid through my cannula. Sprayed some liquid into my mouth. I had to bite a round plastic thing, which prevented me from closing my mouth. Numbness was felt down my throat by then. Then, in went the long black rubbery thing.

I gagged and retched over and over again. It was definitely uncomfortable but painless. I really can't imagine how painful it would have been, to have that lengthy thing right down to your gastric and intestines, twirling and turning around. *Ouch!*

It was over really soon. *Phew* I was feeling groggy or should I say sleepy. Fell asleep while waiting for the nurse from my ward to come over to bring me back to my lovely room.

12pm:
Yippee!!!! After more than 60hours without food, even the *Milo and biscuits before my eyes looked heavenly. I took very tiny portions fearing the pain.

About an hour later, porridge came. After 10+ scoops, my gastric hurts. I stopped. Waited for the pain to subside before I continued again. Over and over again I took breaks, till the bowl was emptied.

4pm:
Doctor came with the scope results. Guess what did he say? "Your scope results looked great. Nothing abnormal was found." *Aaaarrrggghhhhh* My last hope. Gone! "Seriously, I have ran out of test for your pain in your gastric. How are you feeling?"

"Gastric pain comes on and off now. But its extremely painful when I had food earlier."

"They scraped off some tissues from your gastric for bacteria testing, so you will feel sore for at least the next 24hours. Its normal. So other than that, you are ok right?"

Nodded.

"So I think I will discharge you tomorrow." He smiled and left.

My mind shouted "What?! so What Caused My Pain???!!!! I haven't even get an answer and you are discharging me?!" *Arrrggghhhhh*

But I enjoyed this day of all days, 'cos:-
I get to eat,
my request for the scope was granted
and most importantly,
I received a huge surprise from my lovely girlfriends of 18years; my favourite yellow bouquet with Ferrero Rocher chocolate.
YUM!. *wink*


*Milo is similar to hot chocolate (for the benefit of my overseas friends)

3 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Really, the more I read, I think that if you have an undefined attack like this again you need more conclusive tests. This is scary. Hope you're all better now, blackheads and stinky farts and all!

Blessed mum said...

funny that they discharge you without finding the cause.

Alison said...

I'm glad you're feeling better but it's so frustrating to have pain that they can't diagnose.