Saturday, September 19, 2009

Healthy Tips 4 of 4

Ever wonder why is it so hard to commit oneself to exercise at least 3 times a week?
  1. Because we ache the next morning....?
  2. Because we have muscle cramp.....?
  3. Because we are lazy to 'dress up', travel to the gym or the running track....?
  4. Because we cannot find time....?
  5. Because we simply could not be bothered?

The last one would really depend on how important it is for you to stay in shape. We hear so often that people, men AND women, are unsatisfied with at least one part of their body, yet they are not doing anything about it. I fall into this group of people too. I guess we just like to complain. If we do fix that part(s) of the body, we would have one less thing to complain about. *giggle*

But for 1-4, I realise that there are no more excuses!!!

On the last day of the Seminar, I learned about exercising to MY VERY OWN HEARTBEAT RATE.
When you exercise by monitoring your heartbeat rate, you would know if you have overdone or underdone your workout. Overdoing will cause number 1&2 to happen and it builds muscles. Underdoing means you are not burning excess fats as you wished to.

Hence, when you exercise according to your heartbeat, you won't feel physically stressed, stiff or exhausted, 'cos its what your heart/body can-handle-range. And since such awful feelings are off every time when and after you exercise, then you can STICK to staying healthy forever!!! And you could do any exercise in the comfort of your own home for only 45mins, so this solve number 3&4. If one can spend 2-3 hours infront of the TV, what is 45mins? In fact you can jog on the spot while watching your favourite TV programme!


I bought this on the very next day after the 4-Day Incredible Seminar by Tony Robbins. It was really hard to exercise within my heartbeat range at first, because it was too easy!!! *laugh* My detector kept beeping non-stop asking me to "slow-down".... "SLOW DOWN!!!!" *laugh*

First day was horrible, I either went below my range or way above. But practice makes perfect. Second day was better and third was almost problem-less to stay within range. Now, to stay in range was easy peasy.

Everyone has a different range according to your age. This is a universal formula. Even when I went to purchase the heartbeat rate detector, the salesgirl uses this same formula too.

use 180 less your age = your maximum heart rate
eg. for me, 32 (since my birthday is not over yet for this year) 180-32 =148

so my range is 138 to 148. Workout within this range for 45mins at least 3 times a week is recommended. So I have committed myself to exercise by running on the spot at home in front of my window on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. *wink*

Remember to always warm up and cool down before and after exercising ok?

Happy Workout Everyone! *wink*

3 comments:

Alison said...

I really need to get one of those heart monitors and jog in front of the TV. Now that I'm working again (and my son hates going to the gym day care for some reason)I am not being consistent with my exercise. Thanks for the tip!

Woman in a Window said...

I started running recently and have realized that I need to not set any rules for myself. I go when I can and as long as I can and I take a walking break when I need to. Following my own body and it's working. I think it's basically the same idea what you're doing. And it feels great to feed the body, doesn't it, with movement?

Angeline said...

Woman in a Window,

Ooooh yes...
the key point is the same
"Listen to Your Body."
*wink*

smart woman like you just saved yourself S$119!