Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Need Your Vote

Should I Seek Second Opinion?

View Results
Create a Blog Poll

My blood test results were fantastic!
The results show that my liver is completely back to normal.

I asked, "If so, why do I still have that occasional gripping pain?"
He told me it could just be a sign of weakness. Looking at the results, he continued to say that the pain should go away over time.

"So what exactly caused my pain?" I probed.

"From the look of the whole situation, from the beginning till now, it should be a medication problem. Not due to food or virus. Have you ever ate this antibiotic called 'Augmentin'? It is a common antibiotic prescribed by GPs, yet it is also common that this antibiotic could cause such derangement of the liver."

"I'm not sure if that's the antibiotic given by my GP. But I have SHOWED my GPs prescriptions to the SGH doctors already during my first hospitalisation."

"I don't have that record. Ok, since you still have the occasional pain, but bearable, I'm giving you an appointment 2 months later. We will do another detailed blood test for the liver, just to be sure that there isn't a relapse."

Allan is not satisfied with the answer. He suggested that I should seek a 2nd opinion from another Western doctor, which he already had in mind. Someone who have been referred by many because of the doctor's 'miraculous healing' stories. Nothing spiritual. Purely a normal private clinic.

But, I feel that since my pain is only occassional AND definitely more bearable than what it used to be, AND since its not due to food, I can EAT!!! (more) freely, AND the doctor say the pain should go away on its own, so I thought seeking a 2nd opinion is not necessary. Then again, the doctor did warn me that if a certain food causes more pain after consumption, then THAT food should be avoided.

So now I need your vote. Do you think I should seek a 2nd opinion? Please vote on the top of this post. Thank you.

6 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

I would definitely get a second opinion! Hope you feel better soon my friend! :o)

Woman in a Window said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one voting for the second opinion. It's just not right, Angeline. You deserve an answer now before it develops into something larger!
xo
erin

Angela said...

yes! no harm in seeking a 2nd opinion

Something About Us said...

I voted YES !!

Mummy Moon said...

agree to go for 2nd opinion!

MommyAngel said...

I have been taking Augmentin for years too and when my sore throat is really bad, I could have taken 5-6 courses in 1 go! Whenever I asked the doctor about the side effect, they will tell me it's ok. But actually it's one of the most common antibiotic and it also have those for kids too. I have taken some other 'stronger' antibiotic so I really hope those doctor really knows what they are prescribing me with :(