Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Here comes the Rain again

Pita-pata pita-pata is the sound that hits my window
a rhythm that speaks to my soul.

I love the rain
as much as I love to forget the pain it brings.

Like most dramas,
rain reminds me of a sad moment
a failed relationship
a flashing image of me crying in the corner thinking of someone

Rain is a close friend of mine
a friend who shares my sorrows
a friend who joins me in my tears
a friend who comforts my heart with its song of pita-pata

But ever since Allan came into my life
Rain is a symbol of joy
a reminder of how hardship gives birth to happiness

.....We stood outside our tent
squatting at a corner of the tall building
just to get shelter from the sudden downpour

sharing a cup of coffee, a hot bun,
all we want is for the rain to stop
so that we can start selling again....

those were the days....
doing business in the rain
serving enthusiastic customers who didn't mind carrying an umbrella just to grab an item or two from our little temporary stall made from PVC and metal poles......

Rain to Allan is an excitement
an opportunity to hop into the car
to drive with the wipers swish swoosh on the windscreen at high speed
the heavier the rain
the more Allan would say: "Come, let's go for a drive."
He likes the feeling of "Hah, you can't make me wet"
What a child he is...

Yet to his parents
rain in March is a reminder that 'Qing Ming' is round the corner
a season, a tradition of the Chinese to visit those that have long gone
folding bags of paper money
getting bags of paper shoes, paper clothes, paper TV, paper mobile phone and paper whatever
ready to burn as gifts to their ancestors and parents
whose remains are but ashes

No matter how different Rain is to everyone
one thing stays the same for all
its the best time to snuggle in bed
under the blankets
feeling the cold air brushing across one's face
as he/she snoozes into dreamland

Is rain just another form of water to you?
Is rain just another weather?
Is rain just another stage in the water cycle?
What is rain to you?

3 comments:

Mommy Lose Weight said...

when I have a lot of laundries, I detest rain !
but when I am sleeping or taking a nap, I love rain. LOL !

Ann said...

When I am in the house, I love rain.
When I am outside the house, I hate rain.

And I hate driving in the rain!

But rain brings out my melancholic mood and thus my reading/writing mood.

So my feelings are pretty extreme when it comes to rain!

Woman in a Window said...

Oh, Angeline. I loved this post. It stirred so many memories for me. Ones I didn't realize I still held onto. So many different kinds of rain, too, but usually well appreciated by me. Especially when there's thunder. Now there's the real meat.