Saturday, March 21, 2009

Singlish

Allan was brought up in a family that speaks not a word in English.
I was brought up in a family that speaks only in English.
*laugh*
But both families have one thing in common ~ Cantonese. *phew*

So Allan and I speak Cantonese, Mandarin, English and mostly in Singlish.

For my dear friends from other countries, Singlish is an English-based creole spoken and written colloquially in Singapore. Although English is the lexifier language, Singlish has its unique slang and syntax, which are more pronounced in informal speech.

Singlish is NEVER allowed to be written in Schools here but its so widely spoken by EVERY SINGLE SINGAPOREAN each day.

Singlish is a combination of all sorts of languages. Credit it to the multi-lingual country we are in.

The vocabulary of Singlish consists of words originating from English, Malay (mainly Bahasa Melayu rather than Indonesian), Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese, Tamil, Bengali, Punjabi and to a lesser extent various other European, Indic and Sinitic languages, while Singlish syntax resembles southern varieties of Chinese. Also, elements of American and Australian slang have come through from imported television series. Recently, due to the fact that Mandarin is taught to most Singaporean Chinese students in school, Mandarin words have also found their way into Singlish.

Singlish is closely related to Manglish of neighboring Malaysia. Are you seeing stars already?!

Singlish is NOT a language you can master, 'cos its ever changing, its a language you HAVE TO GROW UP with.

Singlish sentences like these are pretty common:

"Dun anyhow touch here touch there leh." (Please don't mess with my things.)

"He kena scold/scolded." (He was scolded.)

"He never go school one." - He doesn't go to school (unlike other people).

"Okay lah." – (It's all right. Don't worry about it.)

"You never give me wat!" – You were the one who didn't give it to me(Or else I would have gotten it, right?)!

"This one also can work one mah!"Can't you see that this choice will also work?!

"If you don't do the work, then you die lor!"If you don't do the work, then you're dead!

"But I believe safe better than sorry leh." – The thing is, I believe it's better to be safe than sorry.

"Oh yah horh!" - Oh, yes! (realising something)

"How come lidat one, arh?"Why is it like that? / Why are you like that?

"Really meh?" – Is that really so? (I honestly thought otherwise.)

"Wahlau, heng siah."Goodness me (=Wahlau)! That was a close shave (=heng)!

Its so hard to write in 'Correct' English on your school workbook when in speech this is what we say! In the end, we get points deducted in examinations... *sigh*

The power of Singlish is so strong, its easy to pick up and stay rooted 'cos of its tone and its unlimited variation possibilities.

Though unknowingly, I had this amazing language in me, I must admit that I'm not proud of it. I'm proud of Singapore's countless achievements internationally but this language.... hmmm... I'm not. I'm sorry....

4 comments:

Something About Us said...

I tried hard to speak good English but the Singlish kept popping out. Sigh! We have been speaking for years, guess it's hard to correct ourselves

Moomykin said...

I'd like to add, that the use of "lah" is actually to stress a certain word, or point. That's how we explain the usage of "lah" to foreigners.
E.g, Please-lah, = PLEASE.

Woman in a Window said...

I love it! Reminds me of French Canadian English or the English that was spoken in St. Vincent and the Grenadines that I did not understand one word of unless spoken slowly. Love it!

Anonymous said...

mmm. I agree... being from India...i knaow how it feels abt this SInglish..but at all times i correct Yuvan picking Singlish from the environment :)